Business Resource Efficiency
Oxfordshire is regarded as one of the top five counties in the UK for low carbon entrepreneurial activity by total number of low carbon SMEs, generating over £1Billion worth of sales and employing 9000 people.
Oxfordshire shows high growth potential in alternative fuel motor vehicles, wind energy, and building technologies with world class R&D capabilities, coupled with innovative, low carbon technology businesses such as Oxford PV, Yasa Automotive, Zeta Group, Pilio Software Ltd, Navetas and Exhergy.
There is a long-standing energy research cluster at and around Harwell and Culham; there are also significant research and commercial expertise at Oxford Brookes and the University of Oxford.
Offering three complementary strands to a low carbon economy, Oxfordshire offers a low carbon infrastructure sector, manufacturing led growth and a low carbon services led sector for the development of world-class activities based on business, financial, policy and technical services - as well as expert business support.
Sam holds this role while studying for a PhD at Oxford University, in the Environmental Change Institute. His research focuses on SMEs, energy and government policy, and builds on a professional background of advising large corporations, small businesses, charities and governments on resource efficiency. He has worked on carbon footprinting, water conservation and packaging efficiency, and most recently managed three projects targeted at supporting SMEs to reduce emissions and increase competitiveness.
Resources for Business Resource Efficiency
- SME Guide to Energy Efficiency - Advice and ideas to help any business become more energy efficient.
- The Carbon Trust Green Business Fund - Offers a capital contribution of 15% of the project cost when buying energy saving equipment.
- Energy Systems Catapult - A leading technology and innovation centre set up to help the UK navigate the transformation of our whole energy system and capture the new commercial opportunities created.
- Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult - The UK’s flagship technology innovation and research centre for offshore wind, wave and tidal energy.
- KTN (Sustainability & Resource Efficiency) - The mission is to stimulate growth through sustainable innovation.
- Shell LiveWIRE Smarter Future Programme - Open to any entrepreneur aged 16-30 with an idea that addresses the UK's future transport, energy, or natural resource challenges, or makes our urban environments cleaner and more sustainable places to work and live in.
- Joining the Crowd - Oxfordshire Low Carbon Economy - a snapshot of the "Oxfordshire Low Carbon Economy" report.
- Low Carbon Hub - A social enterprise tackling the big issue of climate change in Oxfordshire.
- Low Carbon Oxford - A network of organisations with a shared vision of Oxford as a low carbon city.
Environmental taxes, reliefs and schemes for businesses
Environmental taxes encourage your business to operate in a more environmentally friendly way. There are taxes and schemes for different types and size of business.
You may get reliefs or be exempt from some taxes, eg if:
- you use a lot of energy because of the nature of your business
- you’re a small business that doesn’t use much energy
- you buy energy-efficient technology for your business
You can pay less tax by applying for schemes to help you demonstrate that you’re operating more efficiently and producing waste that’s less damaging.
Find out more about:
- Climate Change Levy
- CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme
- Emissions trading
- Capital allowances on energy efficient items
- Landfill Tax
- Aggregates Levy
- Other tax reliefs