A40 Wolvercote and Cutteslowe travel bulletin - 11.3.16
- The Cheltenham Festival takes place between 14 and 18 March and there is a high chance there will be increased traffic through both Cutteslowe and Wolvercote roundabouts along the A40. Please take extra care whilst travelling through the scheme during this time and allow for longer journey times.
- The exit from the BP/BMW garage onto the A44 is closed until 17 March
- The A44 northbound (from Wolvercote roundabout to Pear Tree roundabout) will be closed overnight on 19 March (2 April as a provisional) between 8pm and 6am in order for us to move our working area from the verge into the central reservation. While our working areas are in the central reservation, both the north and southbound A44 will be reduced to 1 lane for safety reasons (the bus lane on the southbound will remain open). This will be the case until June 2016. The diversion for this traffic is to Cutteslowe roundabout, up Banbury Road to Kidlington roundabout and down Frieze Way to Pear Tree roundabout.
- A40 Elsfield Way will be closed overnight on 19 March (2 April as a back up date) between 8pm and 6am in order for us to move our working area from the verge into the central reservation. During this closure, traffic will be diverted via the A34 at Pear Tree Interchange and around the A4142.
- The work on the roundabouts will finish at on the afternoon of Thursday 24 March for the Easter bank holiday weekend and begin again on the morning of Tuesday 29 March.
Progress at Wolvercote
Work to construct the footpath on the eastbound A40 is well underway. We have recently surfaced the new footpath and the entrance/exit to the BMW and BP garage.
Construction of the footpath further past the BP garage, towards Wolvercote roundabout, continues as does the footpath construction on the northbound side of the A44. This work involves diversions of utilities, installing drainage and construction of the new footpath/cycleway and surfacing.
The latest from Cutteslowe
Similar to the Wolvercote end of the scheme, we are now constructing the footpath on both the eastern and western side of the A40 Elsfield Way.
Over the next couple of weeks we will be completing this work ready to move the working area from the verge into the central reservation. When we begin the next phase of the works we will be focussing on moving the central reservation to accommodate the new lanes on the westbound carriageway. Jackson Road will remain accessible from the eastbound carriageway during this work.